Competition and Disputes Counsel (Based in Bangkok, Relocation Support Provided)Apply Now
Agoda is an online travel booking platform for accommodations, flights, and more. We build and deploy cutting-edge technology that connects travelers with more than 3.6 million accommodations globally. Based in Asia and part of Booking Holdings, our 6,000+ employees representing 90+ nationalities foster a work environment rich in diversity, creativity, and collaboration. We innovate through a culture of experimentation and ownership, enhancing the ability for our customers to experience the world.
Our Purpose – Bridging the World Through Travel
We believe travel allows people to enjoy, learn and experience more of the amazing world we live in. It brings individuals and cultures closer together, fostering empathy, understanding and happiness.
We are a skillful, driven and diverse team from across the globe, united by a passion to make an impact. Harnessing our innovative technologies and strong partnerships, we aim to make travel easy and rewarding for everyone.
Get to Know our Team:
In the age of technology, things are constantly changing. The online travel reservation market is much the same, being more dynamic and complex than ever. Agoda’s Legal team is well suited to take on the challenges presented, adopting a proactive mindset to tackle challenges and solve problems. We are quick on our feet, decisive, and collaborate with multiple departments. We seek to enable commercial growth while protecting the company and responsibly managing risk. We hire out-of-the-box thinkers that are well grounded with ethics and legal knowledge to ensure that Agoda achieves the right results, the right way.
Seeking able, confident, curious and self-motivated lawyer to join the growing Agoda Legal team who will work closely with stakeholders within Agoda and also across BHI brands. As a Competition and Disputes Specialist, you will be involved in supporting competition and disputes law issues (litigation, competition compliance, regulatory investigations and generally advising the business) that affect Agoda. This role will suit someone who likes to work in a varied, dynamic and fast paced role in a global company. The role report to the Associate Director for Competition & Disputes.
- Dealing with regulatory requests in Asia and beyond, working closely with key stakeholders.
- Advising the business on complex competition (and consumer) law issues.
- Ensuring competition law compliance/education across the business including in relation to the DMA and DSA (and equivalent piece of legislation that may spring up outside of the EU).
- Handling small and large consumer disputes across a variety of jurisdictions.
- Working with Product and other teams to ensure compliance of new key products/initiatives.
- Contributing to new policies, procedures, training, and templates with the goal of fostering efficiency and compliance.
Core Skills and Requirements:
- 5+ years PQE competition/regulatory lawyer with significant experience of dealing with regulators on large investigations/cases/mergers in APAC and ideally also in EU.
- Able to provide well-reasoned, yet practical legal advice on a wide-range of matters, with a clear focus on competition and consumer law, and related regulatory issues, including but not limited to authority requests, product initiatives and new legal requirements across multiple jurisdictions.
- Ability to handle large scale/complex litigation under supervision as well as simpler cases.
- Able to communicate effectively with key business teams, including mid/senior management, global legal team and external counsel.
- Self starter who can take forward cases with light touch supervision (from fact finding to presentation to internal or external stakeholders, including regulators, with the help of local counsel where relevant).
What you’ll Need to Succeed:
- Strong academic credentials, experience working in top-tier law firm preferably with experience working in-house in a competition law/consumer law/disputes role.
- A demonstrated can-do, roll up your sleeves, collaborative approach, coupled with a strong work ethic and sound judgment (particularly around senior stakeholder and regulator engagement in APAC and EU).
- Experience with travel industry/technology/fintech a plus.
- Ability to work independently from instruction through to execution.
- Excellent communication and legal drafting skills (verbal and written) in English; good project management and organization skills; additional languages are a plus.
A relocation to Bangkok is highly preferred, however, we are open to successful candidate being located in Singapore/Hong Kong.
#bangkok #philippines #malaysia #kualalampur #vietnam #paris #germany #newyork #sanfrancisco #california #london #paris #amsterdam #sydney #melbourne #singapore #hongkong #taiwan #beijing #shanghai #LGL #4 #LI-SE1
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Agoda, we pride ourselves on being a company represented by people of all different backgrounds and orientations. We prioritize attracting diverse talent and cultivating an inclusive environment that encourages collaboration and innovation. Employment at Agoda is based solely on a person’s merit and qualifications. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, age, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, citizenship, veteran or military status, and other legally protected characteristics.
To all recruitment agencies: Agoda does not accept third party resumes. Please do not send resumes to our jobs alias, Agoda employees or any other organization location. Agoda is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.