We appreciate your interest in working for Agoda group of companies. We take the protection of your Personal Data (defined below) seriously and we want to make sure that you understand what kind of information we will be processing of you.
1. Application of this Statement
This Agoda Applicant Privacy Statement (the “Statement”) applies to Personal Data which Agoda Company Pte. Ltd., Agoda Services Co., Ltd, Agoda International USA LLC, your hiring entity as well as all related entities (“Agoda”, “we” or “us”) process about you in any form during your job application process. We may collect your data via our career platforms (careersatagoda.com) (the “Site”) and/or through other means during your application process (the “Sources”).
Below is a summary of our privacy practices. Our full Applicant Privacy Statement is available below, or you can click the links on any of the points detailed in the summary table for further details.
|1. Application of this Statement||This Statement applies to any entity within the Agoda group of companies which may process your Personal Data.|
|2. Types of Personal Data Processed||We process information which you have provided to us, or which we may have received from a third party, such as recruitment firms or employee referrals.|
|3. Purposes and Basis for Processing||We will process your information only for those purposes which are known to you or which would typically be within your expectations.|
|4. Disclosures of your Personal Data||We may share your information with our affiliates, service providers, government authorities, courts, external advisors, and similar third parties.|
|5. International Transfers of Personal Data||We maintain appropriate protection for cross-border transfers as required by law for international data transfers.|
|7. Security||We maintain reasonable security measures to protect your information.|
|8. Updating or Accessing Your Personal Data||You may exercise certain rights of access, correction, deletion, portability or restrict or object to certain processing of your information.|
|9. Country-specific Privacy Rights||Depending on your country of residence, you may have additional rights to your personal data.|
|10. Retention Period||We store your information strictly for the time necessary to achieve the purposes for which it is collected.|
|11. Questions or Complaints||Please contact us with any questions or complaints about this Privacy Statement or our privacy practices as detailed below.|
|12. Changes to the Statement||We will notify you of any material changes by posting the updated version of this Privacy Statement and taking other steps as needed.|
2. The types of Personal Data we process
The term “Personal Data” refers to information which identifies or is capable of identifying you as an individual. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, we process the following types of Personal Data in relation to your job application with Agoda:
- General Personal information:name and contact information (email address, mailing address and phone number), residency, and other personal information volunteered by you in your resume, LinkedIn profile, or website;
- Work and Education Background information:personal curriculum vitae (educational degrees, education, training history, and previous and/or other relevant work experience or other experience), languages, professional memberships, qualifications/certifications, role applied for, salary/wage expectations and other terms relating to compensation and benefits packages;
- Job Application information: references and referee details, application letters, assessment, test results and video interviews, information from interviews, including video interviews and phone-screenings you may have (if any), details of how you heard about the position you are applying for, willingness to relocate, other job preferences, or other information you provide to us in support of an application and/or the recruitment process;
- Background information: any information obtained in accordance with applicable law during the application and/or recruitment process such as gender, information about your citizenship and/or nationality and/or right to work or reside in a specific country, reference information and/or information received from background checks and/or sanctions lists screening (where applicable), including information provided by third parties, information relating to any previous applications you may have made to Agoda and/or any previous employment history with Agoda, information needed to evaluate actual or perceived impairment of our independent auditors (for selected roles, where applicable), travel information (including travel and meal preferences) if traveling is part of the recruitment process, and work permit/visa details (where applicable); and
- Cookies and similar technologiesderived data: Most of the Personal Data we process is information that you provide to us. We may also receive your Personal Data from a third party, such as recruitment firms, employee referrals and pre-employment screening service providers. The Personal Data you submitted and any additional Personal Data will be used to assess your skills and interest in career opportunities at Agoda and to process your application as further detailed in Section 3
2.1 Data collected automatically
When using our career website, Agoda also collects information automatically, some of which may be personal data. This may include data such as IP address, location, device settings, device OS, log information, time of usage, URL requested, status report, user agent (information about the browser version), operating system, result (viewer or applicant), browsing history, and type of data viewed. Agoda may also collect data automatically through cookies. We use these cookies to operate the Site, to analyze and improve the Site and to provide you with career opportunities tailored to your interest.
2.2 Sensitive and/or demographic data
There may be instances in which the Personal Data that you provide to us is considered “Sensitive Data” under applicable data protection law. We collect such categories of data only to the extent permitted by applicable law, for instance, to support our Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action and related initiatives, or if you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability. Sensitive Data is Personal Data from which we can determine or infer an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, or other beliefs of a similar nature, membership of a trade union, physical or mental health or condition, sexual life, or judicial data (including information concerning the commission or alleged commission of a criminal offense). We also invite applicants to voluntarily self-identify their race or ethnicity to support initiatives to promote diversity through the organization. Submission of this information is voluntary, will be anonymized, and refusal to provide such information will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
3. Purposes and basis for processing Personal Data
3.1 Agoda will process Personal Data, including Sensitive Personal Data, for the following purposes (“Processing Purposes”):
|Processing Purposes||Categories of Personal Data Involved|
|Recruiting process, in particular to review and assess your job application, communications with you about the recruitment process and/or your application(s), to make a hiring decision, and to complete the hiring process in case you should be offered and accept a position at Agoda (including assisting you with obtaining an immigration visa or work permit where required), and as permitted by applicable law for verifying your information and carrying out reference checks and/or conducting background checks and sanctions screening (where applicable) if you are offered a job.||General Personal information, Work and Education Background information, Job Application information and Background information including sanctions screening.|
|Informing you via email, social media platform, messaging platform and other sites about other job openings within the Agoda group entities or affiliates, newsletters and information regarding upcoming events of which we believe will be of interest to you||General Personal information, Work and Education Background information, Job Application information and Background information.|
|Delivering career opportunities tailored to your interest||General Personal information, Work and Education Background information, Job Application information, Cookies and similar technologies derived data.|
|Complying with applicable laws and employment-related requirements along with the administration of those requirements, such as employment and immigration laws.||General Personal information, Work and Education Background information, Job Application information and Background information.|
|Communicating with you, within Agoda, and/or third parties (such as government officials)||General Personal information, Work and Education Background information, Job Application information and Background information.|
|Responding to and complying with requests, legal demands and processes from regulators or other authorities in or outside of your home country||General Personal information, Work and Education Background information and Background information.|
|Making improvements to Agoda’s application and/or recruiting process and understanding the recruitment landscape we are operating in, including improving diversity and equal employment opportunities in recruitment practices and analyzing how our compensation and benefits policy is compared to the market.|
3.2 Agoda relies on the following legal grounds for the collection, processing, and use of Personal Data:
|Personal Data||Sensitive Personal Data|
We will process your Personal Data only for those purposes known to you or which would typically be within your expectations and are relevant to Agoda. Your Personal Data will be retained for as long as it is necessary to meet the purposes for which it has been collected and in accordance with applicable law and, where applicable, in accordance with Agoda’s internal retention policy, as further detailed in Section 11 below. We aim to minimize the amount of Personal Data we collect and keep about you and only to collect and keep Personal Data which is adequate, relevant, and not excessive.
We will process your Personal Data for a different or new purpose only if Agoda has a legitimate basis for doing so, consistent with the applicable data protection law of the country in which the Personal Data was collected or where we have contacted you prior to commencing that processing
Depending on the vacancy, you may be requested to perform online assessments and/or video interviews to respond to questions which are relevant to evaluating your application in order to establish whether you meet certain job requirements (e.g. language tests, availability to work at given times, job preview and competency tests). Your assessment results, including video interviews (if any), shall be automatically transferred to Agoda and will be part of your application file. Your assessment results may be used to assess your application and, in case of hiring to provide specific training and/or coaching during your employment with Agoda and your assessment results may be shared with managers and/or coaches for this purpose.
If your application is successful, your Personal Data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy, company global compliance policies with respect to background checks and sanctions screening and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include verification of skill proficiency, criminal history, presence on sanctions lists financial history and other information that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the open position at Agoda. You will be notified of the screening process beforehand separately.
3.5 Hiring Personnel of Independent Auditor(s)
For selected roles in our organization, if you are/were a partner, principal, shareholder, or employee (“covered person”) of our (group) independent auditor(s), we may collect additional information about you and your relevant family members to assess your suitability for such roles and to ensure such hiring would not result into an actual or perceived impairment of our independent auditor(s). Additionally, we may share such information, and information regarding your application, with relevant members of Booking Holdings, Inc. and of the respective independent auditor(s) companies.
We may use the information that you provide to us and any additional information we collect during the application process to make improvements to Agoda’s application and/or recruiting process and for our own recruitment analyses which include, but are not limited to, improving diversity and equal employment opportunities in recruitment practices and benchmarking our compensation and benefits. Should this purpose require Agoda to process your Personal Data, then the data will be used in anonymized or aggregated form.
4. Disclosures of your Personal Data
Agoda may transfer your Personal Data, including Sensitive Data as necessary, to third parties for the Processing Purposes as below. Any access to your Personal Data is restricted to those individuals who have a need to receive or access Personal Data in order to fulfill their job responsibilities:
- Within the Agoda Affiliated Group: As part of our global structure, certain support services are carried out by our various Agoda group entities worldwide (the “Agoda Group Entities”). Therefore, the relevant Agoda Group Entities may receive your Personal Data as necessary for the Processing Purposes, in particular to administer the workforce, communicate with you and third parties, and respond to and comply with requests and legal demands. In order to provide adequate protection for such Personal Data transfers, the Agoda Group Entities have entered into data transfer agreements based on – and where required by applicable law conforming to – the EU standard contractual clauses.
- Within Booking Holdings Group Companies: Agoda is part of Bookings Holdings Group. If you apply for a role with relevance to Booking Holdings Group, your application may be shared with Booking Holdings in Norwalk, Connecticut, United States of America. We may also need to share some parts of your information which may include personal data with other members of Booking Holdings Inc., for compliance purposes and for investigating and handling incidents as permitted by applicable law.
- With third-parties:We share your information with third parties as permitted by applicable law and as described below. We do not sell or rent your Personal Data.
(a) Service Providers (including suppliers):
We share your information with third party service providers, for example to provide our recruitment services, store data and/or maintain the Careers Platform on our behalf, for analytics, distribution of communications and surveys, and/or to facilitate the delivery of career advertising tailored to your interests. Our third-party service providers will only process information as needed to perform their functions. They are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
(b) Travel agencies: If you have to travel as part of the recruitment process, we may share your information, such as your name, contact details and passport number, with travel agencies for making travel arrangements.
(c) Screening: we may share your information with third parties to conduct pre-employment screening as permitted by applicable law.
(d) Compelled Disclosure: when legally required, strictly necessary for the performance of the recruitment services, or to protect our rights, or the rights of Booking Holdings Inc. group of companies or users, we disclose your information to governmental authorities including law enforcement (subject to a lawful request), any of the affiliates part of Booking Holdings Inc. or in legal proceedings.
Agoda may also disclose your Personal Data as required or permitted by applicable law to governmental authorities, courts, external advisors, and similar third parties.
4.2 Sharing and Disclosure of Aggregate Data
We may share information in aggregate form and/or in a form which does not enable the recipient of such information to identify you, with third parties, for example for industry analysis and demographic profiling.
5. International transfers of Personal Data
Agoda may transfer Personal Data, in connection with the Processing Purposes identified in Section 3 and disclosures identified in Section 4 above, within the Agoda Group Entities, Booking Holdings Group Companies, service providers, suppliers and external advisers in a territory, such as the United States, that may not provide a level of protection to Personal Data equivalent to that provided by your home country. The Agoda Group Entities have implemented appropriate safeguards to secure any such disclosures of Personal Data. Applicants with questions regarding how Agoda Group Entities handle Personal Data should contact the Agoda human resources representative via the contact information set out in Section 12 below.
6. Automated decision making and profiling
We may revert to automated decision making process and profiling only in if you are a re-hire (ex-Agoda employee) or internal transfer. Specifically, if you are a rehire (former-Agoda employee) or internal transfer, we may use Profiling or other forms of automated processing to assess the information we have in the system of you during your tenure in Agoda. Some of the information we will assess are tenure, termination reason, performance records and formal actions. This information will be presented to the hiring managers to make an informed decision in hiring.
You have certain rights in respect of profiling, where that decision has significant effects on you, including where it produces a legal effect on you. See Section 9 for more information about your rights.
Subject to applicable laws, we may utilize artificial intelligence (“AI”) tools including generative AI tools as part of our processing of applications (e.g., to assist with how we categorize applications for further assessment by a human). In utilizing our own or third party AI tools for this sort of processing, we take care to have a human responsible for making any decisions and monitoring the output of processing (e.g., for accuracy) as well as having other internal checks and processes in place.
Agoda observes reasonable procedures to prevent unauthorized access to, and the misuse of, information involving Personal Data. We use appropriate business systems and procedures to protect and safeguard information including Personal Data. We also use security procedures and technical and physical restrictions for accessing and using the Personal Data on our servers. Only authorized personnel are permitted to access Personal Data in the course of their work.
9. Updating or Accessing Your Personal Data
We rely on you to ensure that your Personal Data is complete, accurate and current. Please do inform us promptly of any changes to, or inaccuracies of, your Personal Data.
If you have declared your consent regarding certain types of processing activities, you can withdraw this consent at any time with future effect. Such a withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of the processing prior to the consent withdrawal.
Pursuant to applicable data protection law you may also have the right to: (i) request access to your Personal Data; (ii) request rectification of your Personal Data; (iii) request erasure of your Personal Data; (iv) request restriction of processing of your Personal Data; (v) request data portability of your Personal Data; and/or (vi) object to the processing of your Personal Data. Please note that these aforementioned rights might be limited under the applicable national data protection law.
(i) Right of access: You may have the right to obtain from us confirmation as to whether or not Personal Data concerning you is processed, and, where that is the case, to request access to such Personal Data. The access information includes—inter alia—the purposes of the processing, the categories of Personal Data concerned, the recipients or categories of recipients to whom the Personal Data have been or will be disclosed, the sources of the Personal Data, the duration of retention, and the technical security measures put in place to safeguard the Personal Data in case of transfer outside the EEA. However, this is not an absolute right and the interests of other individuals may restrict your right of access. You may have the right to obtain a copy of the Personal Data. For additional copies requested by you, we may charge a reasonable fee based on administrative costs.
- i) Right to rectification: You may have the right to obtain from us the rectification (i.e., correction) of inaccurate Personal Data concerning you. Depending on the purposes of the processing, you may have the right to have incomplete Personal Data completed, including by means of providing a supplementary statement.
(iii) Right to erasure (right to be forgotten): Under certain circumstances, you may have the right to obtain from us the erasure of Personal Data concerning you. In such cases, we will to erase, or render permanently unintelligible, such Personal Data.
(iv) Right to restriction of processing: Under certain circumstances, you may have the right to obtain from us restriction of processing of your Personal Data. In this case, the respective data will be marked and may only be processed by us for certain purposes. However, where Agoda processes and uses your Personal Data primarily for purposes of assessing your eligibility for employment, Agoda will in principle have a legitimate interest for the processing which will override your restriction request, unless the restriction request relates to marketing activities (which generally do not apply in the recruitment context).
(v) Right to data portability: Under certain circumstances, you may have the right to receive the Personal Data about you that you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format so you can transmit this Personal Data to another entity.
(vi) Right to object: Under certain circumstances, you may have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to the processing of your Personal Data by us. Where such right applies, we will no longer process the relevant Personal Data. This is not an absolute right and does not apply in certain situations, such as when processing is necessary to assess your eligibility for employment, to comply with applicable laws, or to defend legal claims.
(vii) Automated decision making and profiling: We do not use automated decision-making; however we may use profiling as described in Section 6. You have the right to contest the use of profiling by automated means by informing the recruiter of your preference in which case we will ensure measures are in place to eliminate automated processing of your personal data
Requests for access or updates to, or corrections or deletions of, Personal Data should be sent to Agoda in the manner specified in Section 12 below.
10. Country-specific Privacy Rights
10.1 USA, California Privacy Rights
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA”) (collectively, “California Privacy Law”), we provide specific disclosures about how we use and disclose your information. This section covers how we have collected, used, disclosed and otherwise processed your personal data over the past 12 months, as well as additional rights you may have with respect to your personal data. This section does not reflect our processing of personal data where an exception under California law applies.
- CA Personal Data. Consistent with the “Types of Personal Data We Process” section above, we may collect certain categories of information about California residents (“CA Recruitment Personal Data”), such as:
- Identifiers: name, e-mail address, mailing address, IP address, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, cookie ID and information collected via Cookies, or other similar identifiers.
- Characteristics of protected classes, including racial or ethnic origin, gender, citizenship, disability information (if provided voluntarily), veteran or military status (if provided voluntarily), religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation (if provided voluntarily);
- Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity: browser, operating system, application version, device ID, device-specific settings and characteristics, and pages shown;
- Professional or employment-related information: curriculum vitae, previous and/or other relevant work experience, professional membership;
- Education information: including, in addition to identifiers and other data mentioned, education and educational degrees, training history, languages, qualifications/certifications;
- Inferences: drawn from the information collected; and
- Other Data: information collected from Career Platform preferences and communications sent or received using the Careers Platform’s communications tools, background information, video interviews, assessment and test results.
Certain CA Recruitment Personal Data that Agoda collects about you may be considered Sensitive Personal Information within the meaning of the California Privacy Law, including Social Security number (for background check purposes); driver’s license number and passport number (for background check purposes); and racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, union membership, and information about sex life or sexual orientation (for inclusion, diversity, and related purposes). Agoda only uses and discloses Sensitive Personal Information as necessary in connection with the performance of services and the provision of goods, compliance with federal, state, or local laws, and as otherwise permitted by California Privacy Law.
- Sources of CA Recruitment Personal Data. Agoda generally sources CA Recruitment Personal Data either (a) directly from you (for instance when you provide information as part of your application or during the recruitment process) or (b) from third parties (such as recruitment agencies and background checking firms). Agoda will indicate whether the information requested is mandatory or optional. If you fail to provide mandatory information, in some circumstances this may mean Agoda is unable to process your application.
- Use of CA Recruitment Personal We process your CA Recruitment Personal Data for the business and commercial purposes consistent with the descriptions above under “Purposes and Basis for Processing Personal Data.”
- CA Recruitment Personal Data Disclosed to Third Parties.
- Disclosure of CA Recruitment Personal Data for Business Purposes. We disclose the following categories of personal data for business purposes: Identifiers, Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity, and Other Information to web hosting, business analytics, human resources, service providers, and to comply with applicable law.
- We do not disclose CA Recruitment Personal Data for commercial purposes, such as marketing. We do not engage in the sale or sharing of CA Recruitment Personal Data as those terms are defined under California Privacy Law. We do not use or disclose CA Recruitment Personal Data that is Sensitive Personal Information except as necessary to support and process your application, to comply with law and regulation, and otherwise as permitted by California Privacy Law.
- Retention of CA Recruitment Personal Data. We retain your personal data consistent with the “Retention Period” section below.
- California Privacy Rights.As a California resident, and subject to certain exceptions, you may have the right to request: (i) deletion of your CA Recruitment Personal Data; (ii) correction of inaccurate CA Recruitment Personal Data; (iii) the right to know/access the categories of CA Recruitment Personal Data that we collect about you, including the specific pieces of CA Recruitment Personal Data; and (iv) the categories of CA Recruitment Personal Data disclosed for a business purpose. You may make your request by contacting us at [email protected]
- To protect your privacy and security, we will verify your identity before responding to such request, and may request you provide us with information matching the identifiers already maintained by Agoda about you or additional proof where necessary. If you are making this request on behalf of someone else, we may request the authorized agent provide us with a copy of a valid power of attorney or evidence of the written authorization. You will not be penalized for exercising your rights to your CA Recruitment Personal Data.
- We do not sell or share your CA Recruitment Personal Data as such terms are defined by California Privacy Law.
- Authorized Agent. You can designate an authorized agent to make a request under California law on your behalf in certain circumstances. If you use an authorized agent for this purpose, we may ask you to verify your identity or that you provided the authorized agent signed permission to submit a request on your behalf. If you provide an authorized agent with power of attorney pursuant to Probate Code sections 4000 to 4465, it may not be necessary to perform these steps, and we will respond to any request from such authorized agent in accordance with California law.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. We will not discriminate or retaliate against you based solely upon your exercising your rights under applicable law.
11. Retention Period
Your Personal Data is stored by Agoda and/or our service providers, strictly to the extent necessary for the performance of our obligations and strictly for the time necessary to achieve the purposes for which the Personal Data is collected, in accordance with applicable data protection laws. For Personal Data that we collect and process for other purposes, we typically retain such Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this document and as otherwise needed to address tax, corporate, employment, compliance, litigation, and other legal right and obligations.
When we employ you: If Agoda employs you, Agoda Company Pte. Ltd. shall share your relevant Personal Data with the employing Agoda entity. Your Personal Data collected during the application and recruitment process will become part of your personnel file. All Personal Data we retain as part of your personnel file will be subject to our internal retention policy for employees.
When we do not employ you: If Agoda does not employ you, Agoda Company Pte. Ltd. may nevertheless continue to retain and use your Personal Data in order to consider you for new positions. Agoda may refer back to an earlier application that you have made, if you should submit a new application in the future. In this respect, Agoda Company Pte. Ltd, may retain your Personal Data for a period of 3 years following termination of the initial job application process, unless otherwise required by applicable law. As part of the communications about other potential career opportunities at Agoda, we will include an unsubscribe link that you can use if you do not want us to send similar messages in the future. In the alternative, you may contact [email protected] if you do not wish to be contacted anymore by Agoda for new job vacancies.
12. Questions or Complaints
Agoda will be receptive to any queries or requests made in connection with our processing of your Personal Data. All queries or request shall be directed to the People Technology team at [email protected] .
All questions and complaints reported to Agoda will be investigated. Agoda will attempt to resolve complaints and questions in line with internal policies and in compliance with applicable laws. If you believe that your query or request has not been dealt with appropriately, it can be escalated to the Agoda Data Governance Officer at [email protected].
If you reside in Thailand, you may also contact our local representative, Agoda Services Co., Ltd. (Head Office) 999/9 Rama 1 Road, The Offices at Central World, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand.
If you reside in the EU, you may also contact our local representative, Agoda International Hungary Kft., 1062 Budapest Teréz körút 55-57 Hungary.You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent data protection supervisory authority.
13. Changes to the Statement
Just as our business changes constantly, this Statement may also change. To assist you, this Statement is dated at the end of this document, and we will obtain your consent for any material changes to the extent required by applicable law.
Effective Date: May 25, 2018
Last update: July 7, 2023