VAT Compliance Manager (Bangkok-Based)Apply Now
Agoda is an online travel booking platform for accommodations, flights, and more. We build and deploy cutting-edge technology that connects travelers with more than 2.5 million accommodations globally. Based in Asia and part of Booking Holdings, our 6,000+ employees representing 90+ nationalities foster a work environment rich in diversity, creativity, and collaboration. We innovate through a culture of experimentation and ownership, enhancing the ability for our customers to experience the world.
Get to Know our Team:
As an Indirect Tax Manager, you will have the unique opportunity to work in Bangkok for Agoda Services Co., Ltd , reporting to the Indirect Tax Senior Manager (who leads the Agoda Indirect Tax function). You will be part of the advisory team that is rapidly growing in light of the changing tax landscape for digital services. While being part of the broader Tax and Finance team (approximately 100 professionals), you will also work closely with the Product and Legal team.
The main focus of this position is leading all tax compliance matters related to VAT, sales tax, GST and other indirect taxes for Agoda across the globe and support on indirect tax advisory across the business. The ideal candidate must be detail oriented, have excellent communication skills, be enthusiastic, resilient, and energized by change.
As a VAT Compliance Manager, you will work for Agoda Services Co., Ltd in Bangkok and report directly to the Indirect Tax Senior Manager that is leading the Indirect Tax function at Agoda. You will be part of the Finance team (approximately 130 professionals) and also work closely with the Product and Fin Systems Teams.
This role involves interaction with our US parent company, our international offices, business managers, functional teams, IT and other finance and legal colleagues. Due to the rapid growth of the organization, the tasks and duties of this role may also evolve over time. You will be keen to develop and grow within the role and to take on additional challenges and responsibilities as they occur.
In this Role, you’ll get to:
- Lead the indirect tax compliance team across the globe and support on related indirect tax advisory across the business
- Help to prepare, review and sign off high volumes of compliance VAT returns and a range of other documents
- Ensure that more junior staff are managed and guided in researching and preparing VAT compliance documents
- Work closely with Finance teams to raise awareness of VAT issues, provide guidance on invoicing (including E-invoicing) and the review of VAT accounting entries and ledgers
- Assist in abiding by group tax policy to keep track of latest developments impacting overall VAT compliance and provisioning.
- Assist in correspondence with local tax authorities, including coordinating responses on compliance and audit enquiries
- Manage and supervise the reconciliation of revenue, purchase, output VAT/GST and input VAT/GST with financials
- Define indirect tax requirements for existing and new programs/products and ensure practical implementation of these requirements in internal systems
- Research and keep abreast of global indirect tax developments, evaluate necessary business and process changes, develop and execute plans accordingly to ensure compliance with new tax rules and regulations
- Solid understanding of how indirect taxes affect in-house financial applications and systems
- Review financial data for proper application of tax laws and advise on the development and maintenance of accounting systems, which provide tax information required to be reported
- Project management responsibilities
- Work closely together with Product and Fin Systems Teams to resolve or improve VAT compliance areas and procedures
- Coordinate with external advisors on various indirect tax issues, e.g. obtain tax advice as necessary and support team members with accurate and timely indirect tax reporting and tax payment
- Contribute to indirect tax awareness and appreciation within the Agoda group
What you’ll Need to Succeed:
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Tax Economics/Law or any business/similar related field. Chartered Accountant (or equivalent) or graduate degree in taxation is an additional asset
- Preferably 8+ years of indirect tax experience in a multinational tax environment, Big 4 / Top law firm / major corporation experience
- Strong technical knowledge in indirect taxes (VAT/GST) in an international context
- Experience with indirect tax setup in systems, including ERP systems (Oracle) is a definite asset
- Previous experience in VAT automation projects implementation
- Detail-oriented individual who takes ownership of projects
- Able to extract, analyze, and review data and make appropriate recommendations
- Project management expertise, including strong organizational and change management skills
- Ability to work independently and productively
- Strong (English) verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complicated tax technical issues with senior leadership
- Team management experience is a plus
- E-commerce or travel industry experience is a plus
It’s Great if you have:
- Self-motivated and results-oriented, working with minimum direction, taking ownership of tasks and responsibilities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of cross-functional teams
- Able to clearly express ideas and information to others and flex style according to the specific situation and audience
- Able to grasp detail whilst understanding the “big picture”, managing multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously
- Able to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Comfortable working in a fast paced and dynamic environment, adapting well to change
- Team leader and team player
- Energetic and driven personality
#hongkong #singapore #thailand #spain #madrid #barcelona #mumbai #newdelhi #london #newyork #bangalore #india #shanghai #jakarta #bali #tokyo #osaka #yokohama #hcmc #hanoi #dubai #abudhabi #istanbul #taipei #phuket #seoul #manila #kualalampur #rome #hungary #italy #france #dublin #ireland #budapest #hongkong #toronto #vancouver #4 #ACCT
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Agoda, we pride ourselves on being a company represented by people of all different backgrounds and orientations. We prioritize attracting diverse talent and cultivating an inclusive environment that encourages collaboration and innovation. Employment at Agoda is based solely on a person’s merit and qualifications. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, age, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, citizenship, veteran or military status, and other legally protected characteristics.
To all recruitment agencies: Agoda does not accept third party resumes. Please do not send resumes to our jobs alias, Agoda employees or any other organization location. Agoda is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.