**This role is based in New York**
Agoda is transforming travel for millions of customers across the globe.
Headquartered in Asia, Agoda is one of the world’s largest online travel accommodation platforms. Founded in 2005 and now part of Booking Holdings (Nasdaq:BKNG), Agoda has a network of over 2,000,000 vacation rentals and hotels worldwide. Our web and mobile products provide a first-rate reservation service in 38 languages that uniquely combines local knowledge and local connections to provide the best deals for business and leisure travelers. Agoda employs over 5,000 professionals from 70 nationalities in locations around the globe. In every department – from engineering to customer experience – we provide an environment rich with creativity, collaboration, and experimentation, and the tools to work faster and smarter. At Agoda, we believe our people are our strength. We work hard and have fun, and we choose people who are dedicated to making things great.
Due to the rapid expansion of Agoda’s business in the US, the uniqueness of the US tax laws, and the current changes in the local regulatory tax landscape, we are looking for US Tax Manager to join our New York-based team. While this role will handle a broad range of tax areas (both corporate and indirect taxes), the main focus will be on managing local tax matters including compliance with local tax regulations, computation and payment of taxes and working with our external tax advisors and across our sister brand tax teams on region-specific issues and requirements.
As a US Tax Manager, you will work for Agoda International USA LLC in its New York City office, handle the North American market and report directly to the Senior International Tax Manager based in Agoda’s Bangkok, Thailand office. You will be part of the Finance Team (approximately 150 professionals mostly based in Thailand) and work closely with the Legal Team, in particular US Legal counsel.
This role also involves interaction with our US-based parent company, our sister brands, our Agoda international offices, as well as various business managers and functional teams. Due to the rapid growth of the organization, the tasks and duties of this role may also evolve over time. You will be keen to develop and grow within the role and to take on additional challenges and responsibilities as they arise.
What you will do:
- Ensure compliance with US indirect tax requirements, with a focus on:
- Sales and Use tax regulations for marketplaces (following the Wayfair decision),
- Occupancy tax liabilities for marketplaces, and
- The impact of short-term rental regulations on income taxes for marketplaces.
(We realize these are still relatively new areas, so we are open to candidates who are perhaps only familiar but willing to develop an expertise in these fields.)
- Review and approve indirect tax compliance and reporting.
- Research State and Local Tax (SALT) issues as needed and document resolutions.
- Work closely together with Product and Fin Systems Teams to resolve or improve indirect tax compliance areas and procedures.
- Assist in US tax planning initiatives and special projects.
- Assessment of tax positions and interpretations of our business models.
- Project coordination responsibilities.
- Support key business initiatives, including modeling for financial impact of taxes.
- Evaluate the current tax structure and recommend any changes or planning ideas that will optimize the structure.
- Drive and implement changes required as a result of changes to tax legislation.
- Handle tax audits/queries/investigations/litigations with local tax authorities.
- Contribute to tax awareness and appreciation within Agoda.
What you should have:
- Degree in tax, law, accounting or equivalent; a CPA or graduate degree in taxation preferred.
- 6-8 years of US SALT experience in Big 4 public accounting / top law firm / multinational corporation.
- Excellent knowledge of US SALT regulations and local US tax compliance.
- E-commerce, hospitality or travel industry experience a plus.
- Project management expertise, including strong organizational and change management skills.
- Ability to work independently and productively.
- Ability to develop and maintain partnerships with cross-functional teams within Agoda.
- Strategic thinker with solid business instincts and acumen.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) in English.
- Self-motivated and results-oriented professional.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of management.
- Ability to have good grasp of the detail whilst understanding the “big picture”, and to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously.
- Able to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines, and comfortable working in a fast turnaround environment.
- Team leader and team player.
- Experience with indirect tax setup in financial systems, including ERP systems.
- Professional “get it done” attitude and work ethic.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Energetic and driven personality.
- Adapts well to change and is equally energized by it.
**This role is based in New York**
Agoda is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, age, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, citizenship, veteran or military status and other legally protected characteristics. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Agoda does not accept third party resumes. Please do not send resumes to our jobs alias, Agoda employees or any other organization location. Agoda is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
By applying to this job, you agree that Agoda may process your personal data in accordance with Agoda applicants privacy statement. (link to https://careersatagoda.com/privacy-statement/)