Senior Competition/Consumer and Disputes Counsel (based in Bangkok)Apply Now
Bangkok (Central World Office)
Agoda is an online travel booking platform for accommodations, flights, and more. We build and deploy cutting-edge technology that connects travelers with more than 2.5 million accommodations globally. Based in Asia and part of Booking Holdings, our 4,000+ employees representing 90+ nationalities foster a work environment rich in diversity, creativity, and collaboration. We innovate through a culture of experimentation and ownership, enhancing the ability for our customers to experience the world.
Get to Know our Team:
In the age of technology, things are constantly changing. The online travel reservation market is much the same, being more dynamic and complex than ever. Agoda’s Legal team is well suited to take on the challenges presented, adopting a proactive mindset to tackle challenges and solve problems. We are quick on our feet, decisive, and collaborate with multiple departments. We seek to enable commercial growth while protecting the company and responsibly managing risk. We hire out-of-the-box thinkers that are well grounded with ethics and legal knowledge to ensure that Agoda achieves the right results, the right way.
Seeking able, confident, curious and self-motivated lawyer to join the growing Agoda Legal team who will work closely with other stakeholders in the Booking Holdings group, including the parent company and/or sister brands.
As a Senior Competition/Consumer and Disputes Counsel, you are responsible for all competition, consumer law and disputes issues (including litigation, compliance, class actions, investigations by agencies, advising the business) that affect Agoda globally. The role reports to the Managing Counsel for Commercial within the Legal Team and will have 1 direct report. You will have the opportunity to innovate, make more efficient and drive change in your area of responsibility
You are able to identify problems related to competition, consumer law as well as disputes and solve them with the help counsel. You know how to prioritize and see clearly what is of strategic importance for the organization that have a medium to long-term context.
In this Role, you’ll get to:
- provide well-reasoned, yet practical legal advice on a wide-range of legal and business matters and processes, with a clear focus on competition and consumer law, and related regulatory issues, including but not limited to authority commitments (e.g. CMA), MFN conversations, etc.
- be fully responsible for Agoda’s disputes and litigation together with managing the budget for external counsel
- as a true business partner, to maintain regular communication with key business teams, including senior level management, global legal team, finance and tax, and external counsel
- implement relevant standards and controls, including that which happens at the holding company and/or sister-brand level
- contribute to new policies, procedures, training, and templates with the goal of fostering efficiency and compliance
- represent Agoda in front of enforcement agencies, in public policy discussions relating to enforcement priorities, and at external conferences
- lead and manage (competition and consumer law) regulatory investigations, litigation and internal investigations that could raise legal or reputational risk for the company across the globe
In this Role, you are also able to:
- (i) identify emerging issues and trends, (ii) help define process improvements and (iii) lead on compliance initiatives related to competition and consumer law as well as disputes
- convince internal and external stakeholders (i.e. you are a strong communicator in writing and verbally)
- manage a legal budget and external counsels
- manage one direct report in the regulatory assurance space
What you’ll Need to Succeed:
- A minimum of 8+ years post qualified experience
• Extensive experience working with competition and consumer law matters
• Experience in managing disputes/litigation – both from the consumer/competition side but also business as usual dispute matters
- Qualified lawyer/attorney with current entitlement to practice
• Strong academic credentials, experience working in top-tier law firm in addition to working in-house in a competition law/consumer law
• Ability to work independently from intake through execution
• A demonstrated can-do, roll up your sleeves, collaborative approach, coupled with a strong work ethic and sound judgment
• Experience with travel industry/technology a plus
• Ability to forge trusted relationships with colleagues around the world
- Desire to innovate, automate and drive reporting and analytics
• Excellent communication and legal drafting skills (verbal and written) in English; good project management and organization skills; additional languages are a major plus
• Love for far-flung places and willingness to travel for business (when able)
#newyork #sanfrancisco #california #london #paris #amsterdam #sydney #melbourne #singapore #hongkong #taiwan #beijing #shanghai #LGL #5 #LI-SE1
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Agoda, we pride ourselves on being a company represented by people of all different backgrounds and orientations. We prioritize attracting diverse talent and cultivating an inclusive environment that encourages collaboration and innovation. Employment at Agoda is based solely on a person’s merit and qualifications. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, age, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, citizenship, veteran or military status, and other legally protected characteristics.
To all recruitment agencies: Agoda does not accept third party resumes. Please do not send resumes to our jobs alias, Agoda employees or any other organization location. Agoda is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.