Head of Risk & Controls (Bangkok-based, relocation provided)Apply Now
Agoda is an online travel booking platform for accommodations, flights, and more. We build and deploy cutting-edge technology that connects travelers with more than 2.5 million accommodations globally. Based in Asia and part of Booking Holdings, our 4,000+ employees representing 90+ nationalities foster a work environment rich in diversity, creativity, and collaboration. We innovate through a culture of experimentation and ownership, enhancing the ability for our customers to experience the world.
This role is based in Bangkok, Thailand
Get To Know Our Team
Agoda has seen tremendous growth the last few years, coupled with significant geographic and product expansion. A critical driver to this success has been the Agoda Finance team. We retain a healthy balance between enabling Agoda’s growth opportunities and maintaining day-to-day financial operations and controls. We take part fully in Agoda’s experimentation culture, always seeking to find new ways to optimize what we do, while balancing risk management with innovation.
The Director of Risk Management and Controls is a critical role with global scale. You will report directly to Agoda’s CFO and will sit on the Agoda Finance Leadership team. You will lead a team of Specialists to act as a critical line of defense with respect to risk management for Agoda overall. Th scope would encompass both business and financial risk and controls.
Agoda is constantly expanding its reach through strategic innovations and data-driven experimentations. This allows us to stretch ourselves and get on (and in some cases, create) the next big waves. As a key stakeholder and enabler of the overall Agoda business, the Agoda Finance team must play a unique role in balancing risk management without stifling innovation and growth.
This role is about balance. To play this balancing role effectively, the leader we’re looking for is a curious, dynamic, and fast learner with strong business intuitions, who’s also able to spot potential risks as early as the design phase even of a new project/innovation. This leader must have the ability to gain trust from his/her various business partners to ensure a seat at the table, while also proactively put in measures to manage the associated risks. This is not a policing role, but rather one that is a team player that looks to the best outcome for everyone, including the company’s shareholders.
As the Director of Risk Management and Controls, your business partners will span the entire range of functional areas such as Product, Information Technology, Marketing, Pricing, Partners Services, Customer Services, including various functions of the Finance team. In addition, you would be expected to navigate effectively up and down various levels within various departments to understand and (in many cases) design the business processes and internal controls to ensure overall compliance and appropriate business risk management.
You will be a key contact person for our interactions with our parent company Booking Holdings International (BKNG). Supporting cross brand risk initiatives across the entire span of global operations. You will have regular interaction with both the VP Risk and Control and BHI but also your peers at other Brands in the group including Booking.com and Priceline.
The successful candidate for this role would enjoy the immense amount of exposure including the entire Senior Leadership Team. You would also operate as chair of Agoda’s Risk Committee. In addition, you will let your people management skills shine through (and/or continue to develop them to the next level) through managing your own team of Specialists as well as influencing various business partners.
In summary, this is a perfect role for an ambitious leader who wants to master the in-and-outs of a fast-growing, innovative eCommerce company, whilst contributing a tremendous amount of impact in balancing the risks and growth of the company. Ability to see the big picture whilst also able to zoom in and out of (and manage) the details is critical.
In This Role, You’ll Get To
- Define the Enterprise Risk Management framework that suits agoda’s needs; continue to adapt it to the evolving needs of agoda
- Operate as chair to agoda’s Risk Committee; propose agenda for Risk Committee meetings, develop issues log and incident reporting processes, coordinate across various risk functions at agoda, e.g, ethics and compliance at Legal, privacy at Legal, security at IT, etc. to raise issues for Risk Committee’s attention
- Define a risk screen that enables agoda to properly analyze potential risk exposures for all new innovations; help design mitigation plans or controls mechanism
- Analyze (and/or design) business processes and other business compliance topics to identify risks and control weaknesses
- Identify controls that are currently in place, as well as any control gaps, based on identified risks
- Provide guidance and support to your business partners (e.g., process owners) in designing and implementing appropriate controls to strengthen the control environment and mitigate risks
- Assist in the implementation of, and ongoing compliance with the Booking Holding Group ERM Framework (Based around COSO 2017)
- Assist with documentation of processes by collaborating with process owners and control performers
- Develop and maintain comprehensive documentation including flow charts, process narratives and risk and control matrices, segregation of duties matrices and any others required
- Ensure that Agoda maintains an effective internal control environment, ensuringagoda’s complete SOx compliance and avoiding unwarranted deficiencies.
- Work to mitigate and remediate identified deficiencies with the business in a timely manner.
- Develop and deliver presentations, tailored to audience at various levels and business function regarding impact of internal controls, processes & business compliance
- Co-ordinate with audits for both Internal and External audit teams
- Support Internal and External audit teams to ensure that remediation plans are effectively implemented on a timely basis.
- Research and understand all relevant compliance regulations to ensure process owners are aware of anything that could impact them
- Ensure that M&A integration activity includes ensuring acquired companies adhere to group policies and procedures
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Thorough understanding of internal control concepts (especially SOX & COSO) and experience in applying them in various business areas/functions
- Excellent knowledge of auditing various business operations and risk-based auditing attained through minimum of 10 years of progressive work experience
- Previous experience in a compliance, process, quality or risk control role; experience in setting up and operating Enterprise Risk Management a plus
- Proven success in improving risk management, preferably in a fast-moving tech environment
- Experience of ITGCs and their place within the overall Control Landscape. In addition some experience managing IT Risk professionals either directly or via a project would be desirable
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Risk Management Professional (CRMP) or similar designation highly desirable
- Ability to work independently, productively and part of a team
- Strong Communication Skills with fluency in English (other languages a plus)
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Visio
- Finance experience preferred, E-commerce or travel industry experience a plus
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree preferably in Accounting or Finance
It’s Great if You Have
- High level of integrity is a MUST
- Superior influencing skills, particularly when without actual management authority
- An eye to spot control risks with an intuition of risk prioritization
- Curious, creative and innovative, particularly in design proper controls without stiffening the business growth
- Flexibility to adapt to an ever-evolving and dynamic work environment
- Self-starter with strong sense of responsibility
- Quick thinker and confident in decision making
- Process, problem solving and action orientated mindset
- Good analytical skills with strong attention to detail
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- Professional “get it done” attitude and strong work ethics
- Curious, creative and innovative
#seattle #singapore #amsterdam #seoul #taipei #dublin #washingtondc #shanghai #newyorkcity #london #sanfrancisco #munich #chicago #tokyo #boston #hongkong #kualalumpur #brussels #paris #frankfurt #RISK #FIN #5 ##LI-SE1
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Agoda, we pride ourselves on being a company represented by people of all different backgrounds and orientations. We prioritize attracting diverse talent and cultivating an inclusive environment that encourages collaboration and innovation. Employment at Agoda is based solely on a person’s merit and qualifications. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, age, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, citizenship, veteran or military status, and other legally protected characteristics.
To all recruitment agencies: Agoda does not accept third party resumes. Please do not send resumes to our jobs alias, Agoda employees or any other organization location. Agoda is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.